Martial Arts programs at Ettingshausens
Ninja Stars is a jam-packed 45 minute lesson for kids aged 3 - 5 years old filled with exciting obstacle courses, various skipping, climbing and hoop drills to improve coordination and agility as well as various exercises to improve flexibility.
This is a slow introduction to Martial Arts, with the program incorporating basic stances, block and punches, as well as kicking skills and pad work which will help to develop distance, timing and coordination on both sides of the body.
The style of karate taught at Ettingshausens is Shotokan Karate. It is a traditional Japanese style and Michael sensei has been studying it for over 35 years.
Students learn Kihon (basics), Kata (forms) and Kumite (sparring) along with basic grappling and self defence skills. Students also develop fitness, flexibility and agility.
Traditional training also focuses on students learning respect, discipline, loyalty and self confidence.
Classes are split up into two main groups. Recreational Karate which is for students having their first experience of karate and for those that can commit to one class per week.
Turtles, Scorpions, Taipans and Colts are Squad classes and are split up into different classes by age. These are for students that train in a minimum of two classes per week.
There are also Karate classes for adults. Specialist classes offered in Kata, Sport Karate Kumite (sparring), MMA and BJJ.
Years 1 to 6
- Beginner level program
- Allows children to get a taste of what Martial Arts is all about
- Students that wish to grade through the colour belt system will need to take an extra class
- Student can train in one or more classes per week
- Teaches boys and girls the fundamentals and basics of karate.
- Uses balance, coordination, flexibility, focus, hand eye coordination, agility & concentration skills.
- Teaches respect, discipline and confidence.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in workshops, competitions and belt gradings.
Years 1 & 2
- Aims at building on the foundations learned in Turtles (Kindergarten).
- Scorpions train in a minimum of 2 classes per week.
Years 3 to 6
- Students are able to really get into their Martial Arts journey!
- Taipans will need to train a minimum of two classes per week.
Years 7 to 12
- Colts is designed specifically for the Year 7 to 12 age group.
- Further develops the student as they move into teenage years.
- Students in Colts must train a minimum of 2 classes per week.
- There is no set age for Senior Karate, however the class age is generally between 30 and 60.
- Focuses on technique, kata and set drills.
- This is a popular program for adults interested in a traditional Martial Arts program.
- You will have the opportunity to grade through the kyu belt system depending on the time available.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a great way to introduce your children to Martial Arts. It is a very practical martial Arts and the majority of the training involves one on one, so students learn how to use the best techniques to neutralise the opponents strengths.
Classes are split into different age brackets so that students get the best tuition.
Ages 4 to 7
- For boys and girls aged 5 to 7 years old.
- This class is a grappling class, meaning it has no striking, kicking or punching.
- Focuses on controlling opponents and basic takedowns, throws and sweeps.
Years 3 to 6
- For students in years 3 to 6 at school.
- Students will learn techniques such as arm bars and body control positions.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in competitions, belt gradings & workshops
Years 7 to adults
- For students in year 7 all the way to adults.
- Great for those looking to take part in a self defence system.
- Belt Gradings, Competitions and Workshops are all a part of the program.
This Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) class is for students in year 7 and above and focuses on mixed disciplines like, karate, boxing, Brazilian Jiu jitsu, wrestling and Muay Thai.
It also has an element of fitness and conditioning as students get to train on a variety of equipment like thai pads, focus mits, shields, punching bags etc as well as skipping medicine balls and much more.